All about Beeswax, candle safety & care.

Premium natural beeswax

Where does beeswax come from and why is it a natural premium wax? Beeswax is secreted by glands on the underside of the honeybee. It’s intended for use in making the hexagonal structure for bees to keep their young safe in and fed. Beekeepers are very careful to make sure that removal of the wax after it has been used does not effect the health of the colony. Beeswax has it’s own subtle aroma which can be slightly different depending on where the bees feed from. It is a natural wax that has been used since pre historic times as a lubricant and waterproofing agent as well as for wax casting, polish, candles, costmetics and is actually edible. Beeswax offers a subtle honey scent with the long clean burn. Environmentally friendly, my beeswax comes from my local beekeeper in Kent so each candle is helping British honeybees. For each pound of beeswax provided by a honey bee, the bee visits 33 million flowers and eats 10 pounds of honey. My beekeeper triple filters our wax and I give it one final filter to keep it as clean as possible.  Burning beeswax is said to release negative ions. These negative ions allegedly bind to positive ions in the air which can affect our mood and wellbeing. Positive ions can make us feel bad and depressed and are loaded down with allergens and pollution. The negative ions are said to bond with the positive ones which allows them to fall harmlessly to the floor.   My candles are hand poured by me, so no mass production techniques are involved. Please make sure you use a heat proof dish or candle holder suitable to collect enough molten wax and always read the safety label that is always provided along with the leaflet before lighting. Please bear in mind your beeswax has been made by actual bees! Which means although it has been filtered to a high standard you will get little bits which can make the candle crackle slightly. This is perfectly okay and many candles will not have this at all.
PLEASE NOTE: as beeswax is a natural substance there are variations in colour. This also applies to the dyed candles as I dye them myself. This is slight and I try to minimise it as much as I can.

Candle care

  • Always trim your wick to approx 1/4 inch before each lighting. It makes your candles burn better, cleaner and removes carbon depsoitis that can sometimes build up during previous burns.
  • Chandlers (candle makers) agree that candles should be burnt for 4 hours maximum at a time to get the most from your candle. Allow the wax to cool and remove any debris in the wax and trim the wick ready for your next burn.
  • Extinguish the flame using a sniffer or the back of a spoon. Blowing can cause sparks the fly from the candle.
  • Pillar candles can be hugged to give you the most from your candle.

What is candle hugging?

HUGGING YOUR CANDLE.
If you love to burn pillars, but hate when they only burn down the center (also known as tunneling) or wax spilling all over, here is a technique to try. It’s called hugging the candle (no don’t literally hug the candle).
Firstly be VERY CAREFUL. Hot wax really burns.
Light your candle and allow to burn for at least an hour, or until there is melted wax in the center that reaches close to the sides. Only do this technique when you have a large melt pool in the center. You need the outside of the candle wax to be warm or it will crack.  Now carefully extinguish the candle so the flame doesn’t burn you. Remember the wax BURNS!

Candle Safety

I have compiled this information using www.fireservice.co.uk  and www.london-fire.gov.uk.
  • Never leave the room leaving a lit candle unattended.
  • Always check to make sure a candle is actually extinguished and there are no smoldering embers.
  • Always put out a candle with a snuffer for the back of a spoon as blowing can cause hot wax and embers to fly.
  • Always use a suitable fire proof plate or holder amd make sure there is no change that the candle can topple over.
  • Keep candles at least 10cm apart and make sure there are no curtains or simular objects that can be ignited by the flame.
  • Keep candles well out of reach of children and pets.
  • Do not place a candle in a draught.
  • Never burn candles on or near anything flammable.
  • Never move a lit candle or one that has liquid wax in or around it.